Sunday, December 21, 2008

Nobody belongs here more than you.

Okay, okay, this book has been out for a while. I am way behind. I've heard it more than once. But if you are like me, somewhat behind the times in readery, I suggest this book to you. It's called Nobody belongs here more than you. and it's by Miranda July.


The book is a collection of short stories, many of them somewhat twisted, but looking at life from a different perspective. There's something off about most of the characters, but when you think about it, isn't that life? If you have seen the movie, "You, Me, and Everyone We Know," the heroine is the author. And her style of writing very much reminds me of her in that movie. But so much better. At the least, sit down and read one of the stories at your local bookstore. If it's too weird for you, put it back. If not, take it home. After paying for it, of course.

But (almost) more importantly, take a quick second to check out her website. It really stands out as the most creative, simple, personable sites that I have seen. The entire thing is written on a stovetop. Well, most of it. You'll see what I mean. It does require some light reading, but I promise it is enjoyable. At the second page, you will want to click "the beginning" to know what is going on.

2 comments:

Command Z said...

Man, I thought I was the only person to only read books that corresponded to my clothing. Except I don't use color, I use material. You might be surprised how many books there are made out of 100% Cotton. (pretty much none. Surprising right?)

Stefanie Pepping said...

I had no idea you were so fashion-conscious!