Friday, June 19, 2009

Breaking the Norm

Alright, so you know how I warn you in my sidenote to the right to come prepared for anything? I'm going to make good use of that today.

I've been doing a lot of the same, lately. Too many routines. And when things start feeling like this, it can be kind of nice to do something differently. Something small, something normally routine. Something you usually do without thinking.

I don't know why I followed this urge today, but I did. It was my walk. I have a way that I normally walk. Without thinking, that's how I transport myself from one point to another. I couldn't even describe it to you if I wanted to. It's just natural. You're probably the same way.

But if you take your time to change something in your walk, the entire experience is different. Me, I took longer strides. Not that anybody else would notice, but I did. It was entirely new. I covered more ground with each step, my hair bounced more, I could feel the wind in my face, and I got the feeling that I was somehow more important. For about ten seconds, everything was new and I wasn't doing something routine.

This is crazy talk. I'm not sure why I'm posting this necessarily. I guess it just helps to remind yourself that you always have control over the little things. Hell, you even have control over the big things, if you let yourself. Maybe this type of experiment is a good thing to try every now and then.

I actually wrote this post a month or two ago, and ended up saving it as a draft because I thought it might be crazy talk. But as I read over it tonight, it made me smile and I realized it is relevant.

No comments: